Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Blumhouse: All Work And No Play

Here's what I've been up to over at Blumhouse.com over the past week or so, including my very first interview!

Five Non-Horror Directors Who DID Make a Horror Movie


This article is a follow-up to my piece about which directors should give in and direct horror, which I assume no reader actually remembers I wrote, but I was still interested in exploring the topic anyway.



I actually learned something in film history! Here I expand on a story only ever mentioned in a paragraph or two of film textbooks, but is secretly the most interesting thing in any of them.



Yes, this is a real thing. I discovered these books at a used bookstore a while back, and they've inspired at least two articles at this point.



I'll let you in on a little backstage secret. I actually didn't talk to these two at the same time, but I worked very hard to make it look like a conversation. I think I did a good job!



I really do love to explore how horror creeps into other genres. Plus, the stuff we made kids watch back in the day is mega messed up.
Word Count: 235

4 comments:

  1. I dunno, if you were being really rigorous about it, the "goriest kills" one is practically all Indiana Jones movies.

    Well, and Irreversible. (The head-stomping scene from Drive is really similar, except imagine the camera lingering on it. I still think it's probably the grossest, most naturalistic, and hence most upsetting death I've ever seen in a movie. Also, remind me: you don't like Drive, right?)

    A Sixth Sense book series sounds just oddball. But you can say you've read more novels than I have this past year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO like Drive! I'm not sure where you might have gotten that impression. And I wrote about Irreversible in my Fire Extinguisher article a couple months ago! It's... really something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you said something negative about Ryan Gosling's Long Mope, but, in truth, that could apply to at least half a dozen other movies.

    Maybe it's that my girlfriend doesn't like Drive? I know that for a fact. Nor The Neon Demon. She is generally anti-Refn.

    And, yeah, Irreversible's a helluva film. Watched it almost a decade ago, and I don't know if I'll ever revisit it. I did try to watch Enter the Void once. Two minutes in the headache began, and three minutes later I turned it off. I would not, under any circumstances, recommend it to you, unless you'd killed one my cats or something and I craved revenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cats are safe with me! I have zero interest in anything intentionally designed to create brain trauma.

      Delete