Thursday, May 2, 2013

BH: An Interview with DAWN OF THE DEAD’s Ken Foree About his New Film THE MIDNIGHT MAN!

Yet another article rescued from the gaping hole that was once Blumhouse.com

It’s always a pleasure to see horror icon Ken Foree (DAWN OF THE DEAD, FROM BEYOND, THE DEVIL’S REJECTS, and on and on and on) in a new film, but his upcoming flick THE MIDNIGHT MAN not only features him in a major role, but it allows him a chance to flex his comedy muscles. We couldn’t resist sitting down with him to talk about it. You can check out the synopsis and trailer right here, then find the interview below!
Hoping to fix their dysfunctional marriage, a couple travels to an isolated mountain cabin to work out their problems – but the one problem they didn’t anticipate is the maniac trying to kill them.
Blumhouse: Your new movie, THE MIDNIGHT MAN, has horror tropes but it’s a light comedy. Given your experience working in the horror genre, how did you adjust your performance to match such a different tone?
Ken Foree: In acting, you’re forced to make the adjustments. The material sometimes demands that you grasp emotions, behaviors, from any source you can to meet the obligations of the material and the authors intent. You’re required to be a chameleon when acting. I’m still exploring, working, discovering methods to free my life experiences and express that to an audience.
BH: What drew you to this particular script?
KF: My character was interesting, devilish, and complex. Plus I thought the script was cute and light.
BH: Could you tell us a little bit more about your character?
KF: He’s a collector of debts. A man who loves deception far more than truth. He’s sophisticated, strong, intuitive, and brutal, and yet kind. The kind of character all actors want to play, someone who needs a lot of therapy.
BH: Are you interested in making more comedy films after this one?
KF: Yes, Yes, Yes, I’ve had a few comedy roles in my career. KENAN AND KEL was a four-year stint of slapstick and fun. I’m anxious and excited about doing comedy. I really enjoy it, though it’s very challenging for any actor. Timing is everything, very critical in comedic acting. But I’m ready so bring it on!
BH: What was your favorite moment of filming THE MIDNIGHT MAN?
KF: There were many challenges in making this film, including a totally insane shooting schedule. I guess when the crew was pleased to have me arrive on the set and later at the end of the shoot their responses and acknowledgment of my performance. They might have been just extending a nicety, but it left me feeling good on the drive home after we wrapped.
BH: You’ll be appearing at the Cinefamily theater on May 12th for their revival screening of LEATHERFACE: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE III. What story about the making of the film are you most excited to share with the audience?
KF: Snakes, Snakes, On A Plane…..Yes Snakes, but in the back of an amusement park too. Every night it was looking for them, finding them, warning everybody, and then looking for more. Exciting stuff!

BH: In LEATHERFACE, your character appears to die but a new ending was shot with him surviving. Which ending did you prefer?
KF: You’re kidding me? I always want to live, but as an artist and audience member, I love a great death scene as well. I’m kind of split about this one. If I died I would not have had the opportunity of saying the line “There’s a lot of road kill in Texas’ On the other hand sinking in a skull and bone infested pool of water after putting up a tremendous battle with one of the most despised monsters in film history worked well too.
BH: In general, is it more fun to survive or die in a horror movie?
KF: Somebody has got to make it out. Unless it’s NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD which I think the entire world dropped to their knees when the great Duane Jones got taken out at the very end. I think 99% of horror movies have a least one survivor. I’d pick surviving over being slashed to death. Then again a great death scene… is just that, a great death scene.
BH: You have worked with director Rob Zombie quite frequently in recent years. What’s your favorite thing about making movies with him?
KF: His personality, humor, and artistry. A good man.

BH: Who is a new, up-and-coming filmmaker that you’d love to work with?
KF: All of them, the ones I can collaborate with and trust. Please have Barry Jenkins, Jordan Peele, and M. Night Shyamalan call me ASAP. If there’s no age limit to up-and-coming, include me.
BH: And one question I like to ask everybody I interview: What’s your favorite scary movie?
KF: I can name a dozen. But for a very special reason, which I’ll reveal at the screening, I will have to say THE EXORCIST.

No comments:

Post a Comment